A recent addtion to the UK narrow gauge scene, the Steeple Grange Light Railway is built on the evocatively named "Killer's Branch" of the Cromford and High Peak railway. The Cromford and High Peak was a standard gauge railway dating back to 1830 that criss-crossed the Derbyshire Dales and employed inclines to overcome the steep hillsides. It finally closed in 1967.
In 1988 the Steeple Grange Light Railway Society was formed to run a railway using local ex-industrial stock, much from the Ladywash mine in Eyam. This dictated the unusual 18" gauge.
This unusual line currently has a collection of 7 diesel and battery-electric locomotives and offers short rides in converted "manrider" carriages.