BEV 551 is an 18" gauge, battery electric locomotive based at the Steeple Grange Light Railway. It is currently off site for restoration. This loco was built in 1924 by British Electric Vehicles, and was supplied to the Gurnos Tinplate co, near Swansea. It found its way to the John Player tinplate works at Clydach on Tawe, and eventually to the narrow gauge museum at Gloddfa Ganol. From here it was purchased by an SGLR member. We are appealling for any information that will help in the restoration. We are missing the motor and it's drive pinion, so any help on size/make/model/specification will help us find a suitable replacement. We are also unsure what colour it was. It is very similar to a loco at Llechwedd Slate caverns (http://www.narrow-gauge.co.uk/gallery/show.php?image_id=1019&cat_id=135) and No 640 "Welsh Pony" at the West Lancashire Light Railway.
To see a full size image and more details for any of the following, please click on the image